Friday, May 6, 2011

Susanna's Seven Husbands by Ruskin Bond.

The motivation to read the book was the movie. Incidentally, the book has three versions of the same concept. The original short story which was written first by Ruskin Bond, the novella which is an expanded version by himself and the movie script written by Vishal Bharadwaj and Mathew Robins.

Susanna- a rich lady in search of a perfect husband. Being good looking and rich, she always attract men towards her but she cannot find the father figure she is searching for.  But conveniently for her, all of her husbands die sometimes after their marriage. Is  it the beautiful lady who is murdering her husbands? The author clearly hints so. Then what happens to her? Well, the story progresses as well as ends in different ways in the different versions of the story ie. the short story, the novella and the movie script. I read the novella first; maybe that is the reason I liked it most. But it is the short story that actually carries the Ruskin Bond touch. I didn't read the script as I didn't have the patience to read through the Hindi dialogues. Anyway, I thought it won't be so good too as the movie flopped.

A nice and short read, 3. 5 out of 5.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Prathi,

    Greetings.

    Loved the post. Can you please mail me the book Susanna's Seven Husbands by Ruskin Bond? I am quite interested in reading the book after I watched the movie.
    My email ID is amaan.rizvi1@gmail.com

    I shall be highly grateful.

    Best,
    Amaan

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi amaan,
    I don't have an e-book. You an get a hard copy from flip kart if you want.
    prathi.

    ReplyDelete