Sunday, December 20, 2009

Adayalangal by Sethu

I started reading this award-winning novel with much anticipation. I had read only short stories of sethu before. The starting seems promising. But as chapters passed by I realised that this is not going anywhere. There were sub plots and new characters being introduced but the story is not moving. And then suddenly I realised that I am reading the last chapter. "Did I miss some chapter in between? "That was my reaction.

The story is about a mother and daughter who are living in their small world. Priyamvada, the divorced mother is an accomplished HR Manager who has handled many a crisis alone, both on the professional and personal front.  But suddenly she is faced with many personal hardships including her young daughter becoming her enemy. Most of the book describes this phase of priyamvada's life and how she tries to deal with it.

May be I am not mature enough to understand this kind of literature. May be I am reading so much of thrillers Somebody please tell me where I went wrong.
3 out of 5.

2 comments:

  1. hehe :) same here :) i din think it was that slow.The subplots were fine. But the story had an abrupt end :P All of a sudden its like mom and daughter reunite and Nothin abt muniyandi,Neethu and Priyamvada!!!!( even :( )
    May be the final dream meant that Priyamvadha went back to her village and shes urging Neethu to move forward with her life.Well...who knows ??????? :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. well..the story continues thru his next novel "kili mozhikalkkappuram"...

    ReplyDelete